What type of VISA is required for studying in Australia?

Students travelling to Australia for studies must apply for Student Visa under Subclass 500. The application fees are AUD 650.

What are the pre-requisites to apply for Student Visa in Australia?

You should be enrolled in a course and provide the evidence for the same. One has to meet the required English language requirement and have the adequate health insurance. You must be a “Genuine Temporary Entrant” with an intention to return back to your country. You should also pass their character requirement test as prescribed under  “section 501 of the Migration Act 1958”. , which generally includes verification of criminal record, membership of objectionable organization, conviction in any successful activities etc.

The documents required are:

  • Proof of Identity – A valid passport
  • The education provider details
  • Health Insurance certificate
  • English Language assessment certificate
  • Evidence of financial capacity
    • Sufficient funds to cover your travel costs and 12 months of living and tuition fees for you and your accompanying family members.
    • evidence that your spouse or parents are willing to support you and they have an annual income of at least AUD 62,222 for single students or at least AUD 72,592 for students that are accompanied by family members
    • a letter of support from Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Department of Defence.
  • Evidence for Genuine Temporary Entrant
    • A statement by you in the application about your intention to stay in Australia temporarily.
    • Documentary proofs like employment proof, educational certificates etc.

What is the duration of the stay under student visa?

You can stay up to five years, depending on the course you are studying.