What type of VISA is required for studying in USA?

The students travelling to USA for studies are required to obtain category “F” Visa. Under this they can study at:

  • University or college
  • High School
  • Private elementary school
  • Seminary
  • Conservatory
  • Another academic institution, including a language training program

They can study Vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution, other than a language training program under category “F”.

For a short recreational course not leading any degree or academic certificate, VISA under category “B” is applicable.

The Visa application fees is $ 160.

You cannot enter earlier than 30 days from the start of your course.

What are the pre-requisites for applying for VISA?

Following documents are required for the application:

  • Valid Passport
  • Non-Immigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160
  • Application payment fee receipt
  • Photo
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students
  • Form I-20 – This is provided to you by the institution where you are going for the studies

Additional documents that may be required:

  • Transcripts, diplomas, degrees from the school you have attended may be asked for.
  • Ink- free, digital fingerprints scans are taken at the time of application process.
  • Your intent to depart the United States upon completion of the course of study
  • How you will pay all educational, living and travel costs.

You will be scheduled for an interview with Visa consular officer to assess your qualification for the visa.

The interview wait time depends on the Embassy or Consulate office, normally it is around 50 calendar days.